Satellite
  • Day 45

    Day 45-Nice to Imperia(Italy), 62 miles

    May 30, 2016 in Italy ⋅ ⛅ 20 °C

    Well complete last minute change of plan today. Was supposed to get the 10.55am train to Grenoble but after looking at the weather there and at Alpe d'Huez for next couple of days and seeing rain and lightening bolts I've decide to postpone for a couple of days. Instead as the weather is still cracking here I thought I would head into Italy.

    With no where booked for the night I thought I would just ride along the coast and see where I ended up. Being able to change plans and just ride with complete freedom really is an amazing feeling and something I would recommend everyone should do at some point. It doesnt have to be on a bike. It could be a car, motorbike or just your own two feet.

    Anyway with the last stretch of the French Riviera negotiated the border to Italy loomed just after Menton. Almost straight away you see a change. The landscape is very similar and by no means a poor area there isn't the wealth here as there is a few miles back in France. Sanremo was maybe one exception as you could tell this was a real holiday destination with large yachts in the harbour and beach clubs and bars along the front.

    From Sanremo to San Lorenzo al Mer there is a 15 mile cycleway along the old coastal railway line. A dream for any cyclist and with many of the carbon lycra gang out it was a popular route. Stunning views, mile long tunnels and zero cars it was a great stretch.

    At about 5pm and around 60 miles I'd reached the town of Imperia. Very nice coastal hill side town if that makes sense. A quick look on booking.com and I found a great last minute deal at a resort in the hills with pool and stunning views for the same price of a hostel. So it was booked and I headed for a swim before dinner and good nights sleep in a king size bed!
    Read more