Satellite
  • Day 61

    DAY 61 - Mainz to Koblenz, 64 miles

    June 15, 2016 in Germany ⋅ ⛅ 16 °C

    Amazing ride today and much more like it.

    Mainz to Bingen wasn't much to write home about but the ride from Bingen to Koblenz was everything I'd read about and an UNESCO world heritage site for a reason!

    The 'upper middle' Rhine winds through a much more dramatic setting within a gorge covered in thick forest and vineyards. The cycle path hugs the river so nice and flat again. With plenty of historic small towns and a castle about every 3 or 4 miles it really was a ride through history (cheesy line but you know what I mean!).

    The ride wasn't without its odd torrential downpour and the clear weather would quickly change to dark sky's and rain where you could hardly see across the river. Luckily managed to find some sort if cover each time.

    Koblenz tonight's stop over is a really nice ancient town on the banks of the Rhine and Mosel and has a huge hilltop fortress. Evening was spent in The Irish Pub (original name!) with what seemed like half the town. Place was packed for its monthly karaoke night and some serious talent was on show. Very random night and great way to end best days riding for a few days.
    Read more