Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 9

    Two stages!

    September 27, 2023 in Spain ⋅ ⛅ 15 °C

    I forgot to post yesterday, so I’ll catch up here. Yesterday was a nice walk to Los Arcos for several reasons, despite the heat. One, a couple iconic stops early on; a blacksmith whose father and grandfather were also blacksmiths in that location. He makes small items for sale (photo below) and also larger items, like a gorgeous, dramatic, huge bull. Right after that stop was the famous wine fountain, offering both water and wine for free. A queen endowed this centuries ago, apparently and the government continues out via a local wine maker. Again, see photo!

    Also yesterday was nice because I spent the day walking with Tom. We are both Catholic and had fun geeking out on history of the church, the issue of hell, and best of all, comparing conversion stories. So fascinating!! Made the day (a moderate 21 kilometers ) go more quickly. And just to head you off at the pass, friends and family, Tom is married, so don’t even go there:-)

    Today was a longer day, about 28 kilometers, and we got an earlier start: 6:45. It was cool, dark and lovely. Today has a wonderful breeze too, which seemed to greet us at the top of each rise, like a reward for our efforts. I had more quiet time, and I was glad for it. It was a long walk though, and a nice thing that happens once in a while is that you come around a bend to find someone has set up a little food and rest station. An oasis! That happened today and I include a photo.

    It has been surprising how quickly we connect with people as we walk, and then worry we will lose track when places for. We were both thrilled to see our friend Jun already settled in at the albergue we stopped at today. And again, after David and Olly thought they would stop at the previous town they just messaged that they are here - hooray! Our little world coalesced quickly! Now if we can track Rebecca down we’ll feel complete.
    Read more