Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 268

    Turquoise Coast

    January 10, 2022 in Australia ⋅ ☀️ 31 °C

    Up and down to see a few sights.

    The Pinnacles Desert - it is a mystery. Not just to us, but to geologists as well. There is no agreed view on how these limestone spires were formed. The theory we like is that an ancient forest was buried by drifting silica based sand and over time the timber was replaced by calcification processes. There are many thousands of spires and amazingly we saw none that had fallen over, suggesting deep ‘roots’. It’s an eerie place.

    Stromatolites are a rare formation (micro organisms glue sand etc in many layers) although they are common on this coast. Locally a vey fragile version is found on Lake Thetis which is one of only a few places in the world with living marine stromatolites. Larger more complete Stromatolites are also found outside the mouth of Dynamite Bay. They are a bizarre donut looking thing when we float above them in the kayaks.

    The limestone rock formations extend inland and contribute to the cave system called Stockyard Gully. Probable named by some enterprising drover who used the cave to corral his cattle. In that strangely Western Australian risk management approach, they put up a few signs to warn of dangers like, falling rocks, cave vent holes, unstable cliffs and aggressive, killer bees. Then, we are left to run amock.
    Read more