Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 289

    West Coast Bays Marine Park

    January 31, 2022 in Australia ⋅ ⛅ 22 °C

    Let’s put pins in the map at Streaky Bay and Coffin Bay and go out to see what we can see.

    “It’s Monday. I’m not at work, I’m snorkelling!”
    I am not allowed to attribute ownership of that quote for fear that folk who find themselves on the workaday treadmill may think less of her.
    An unexpected opportunity for a fun snorkel did pop up when we arrived at Smooth Pools. The next headland is called The Granites with a magical reef break. Surfers here are very lucky with only 3 surfers out on two breaks. When asked about the infamous and large S.A. Sharks, multiple locals say exactly the same thing: “Yeah. They are out there, but…..”.

    The Eyre Peninsula West Coast has many granite outcrops and islands, and also several coastal lakes which are so unlike those of home on the Central Coast. Here the shore has only low heath - no significant trees. The bays are very shallow and there is often wide but not connected salt lakes just inland.
    One interesting, terrestrial granite formation is Murphy’s Haystacks. A dozen or so oddly shaped, ~ 8m high boulders. $2 in the honesty box for a 40min walk around a hill on a farmers paddock that will fuel dinner party conversations for years to come. Excellent.
    We have experienced strong winds for a few days now - even windier than W.A., so the lack of trees is noticeable because there is nothing to slow the wind and no hiding from it. Our camp site on top of Point Drummond was beautiful and brutal because of it.
    Doesn’t stop the firshermen and Oyster farmers. There must be more fishing boats per kilometre of coast here than anywhere in Australia.
    Read more