Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 20

    Rome: city of seat-less toilets

    September 21, 2023 in Italy ⋅ ☁️ 26 °C

    Bumpy start to arrival with the Ryanair plane loudly crashing onto the runway. No one battered an eyelid so must be the usual. Actually we couldn't bat an eyelid as we were leaning down and our eyelids crashed also into the seat in front. We did think we saw some young fella board with the passengers dressed as a pilot.

    The eternal city with it's ruins and riches; saints and sinners at our feet at 5pm and who would be staying at our hotel but the bride and groom themselves, our newlyweds Lach and Jess. The gifted champagne and whiskey flowed and the stories talked over each other as we frenetically relayed them.

    Dinner was a fantastico affair of crusty bread, wine, pasta and oxen tails and the tablecloth would have needed to be chucked. Messy these pasta dishes!

    Toilets - why remove every seat? Who has the hamstring-dang strength after walking all day? Felt like Magnums backpackers in Airlie Beach. 😩

    And then we walked... Seriously been questioning why cobblestones? What started as a cute, quaint path style has turned into a treacherous, rock hopping affair with blisters to match.

    And we walked... We walked up roman roads and down underground colosseums pits and museums and totally exhausted ourselves cramming into our mouths the heart of Roma.

    Pantheon was huge and a lot of testaments (and testes) to those that shaped the city, multiple statues included 🫣

    Colosseum was next. Eric managed a 'Are you not entertained" on the arena floor and then was entertained the whole way home by my whinging about my feet.

    Very sad that the Melbourne storm were not able to crush the Panthers as we followed the score. Was too far to walk to one of the many Irish pubs and our friend super Simon to watch the game. Glad we didn't waste the unblistered part of my feet in doing so. We came across super Simon after exiting the Colosseum and finding the first pizza shop overcrowded and hot. Nothing quite so special as seeing the cool, dark, restorative interior of an Irish pub when you're tired, thirsty and hungry. Pints went down in gladiator shaming time.

    More to follow after beer and burgers and of course.. potatoes
    Read more