Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 36

    Oldie but a goodie

    October 9, 2023 in Italy ⋅ ☀️ 23 °C

    For our first morning in Italy we woke up, packed our things and headed to our included breakfast - a cappuccino, a croissant and freshly squeezed OJ 👌

    We then wandered around Bari, enjoyed another cappuccino and had one of the most delicious lunch rolls ever: A prosciutto, sun dried tomatoes, pistachio spread and burrata roll.

    After more aimless walking we headed for our bus which took us to the 3rd oldest city in the world and the oldest in Europe - Matera.

    After some back and forth with our hotel/b&b owner she informed us we couldn't check in until 19:30, we got off the bus at 15:30. So we had a good chunk of time to kill and places to explore with our lovely packs, as we couldn't drop them anywhere either.

    Phill got stuck chatting (listening) to a local for almost an hour, before we explored an old underground water tank. We then walked through Sassi de Matera which is a cave network inhabited since the Paleolithic era with excavations & expansions over the years. But more on that tomorrow!

    It was 20 past 7 at this point and we had just walked what felt like 2000 steps (with our packs still on) so we decided to get some gelato. Now this chocolate gelato was the best thing I had ever tasted, 10/10 will be going back tomorrow.

    After it finally hit 19:30 and we could check in, we dumped our packs and peeled off our very VERY sweaty Tshirts and headed to complimentary drinks at the attached restaurant where we also enjoyed a tagliere di salumi e formaggi (meat and cheese tray).

    Once we got back to the room we booked a walking tour for tomorrow morning, we also washed the clothes we wore today as they were a biohazard.

    Step count: 21k

    PS. If you're a fan of James bond, the latest one from 2019 was apparently filmed here
    Read more