Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 81

    Horsing around

    November 23, 2023 in England ⋅ ⛅ 12 °C

    This morning we were blessed with having to wait around the apartment while a plumber fixed the owner's sink and washing machine.

    Eventually we were able to leave and start the day by checking out the National Gallery, which as a nice surprise was free to enter. We didn't spend too much time there but we were able to see many famous paintings (such as Van Gogh, Monet, and Rembrandt.) Most importantly though, we were able to see the painting of Venus which contains the legendary Monty Python foot!

    After our cultural journey, we walked towards Big Ben, stopping to greet the horses at the Horse Guard Parade, and walking past Downing Street to see the politicians doing nothing, like usual.

    The two of us agree that Big Ben looks a lot better in person, the clock tower is massive and its Gothic style looks amazing. The tower along with all of Westminster is extremely impressive!

    After taking in the sights we headed to Churchill's War Rooms, an underground bunker where he and many other people spent most of their time coordinating the war efforts. We spent quite a while there as we were given an audio tour and there were many things to look at, including many rooms left in their exact state as they were the day after the war ended.

    Once we resurfaced from the bunker, we then visited some book stores and headed in the direction of home to do some planning for later in the week.

    The two of us eventually emerged looking for some dinner, where we got a pomme staple: Mash, gravy, and sausages/ a pie. It was great, served with mustard that clears out your sinuses! After that we walked around the city a bit more until we returned for the night.

    Step count: 18.5k
    Read more