Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 92

    New old castle

    December 4, 2023 in England ⋅ 🌧 6 °C

    This morning started in the most devastating way possible, we opened the curtains to see all of our beautiful snow gone and replaced by rain. We consoled ourselves with a hot drink in bed, and then braved the rain to get to the car so that we could head into the centre of Newcastle.

    While there we sent some more of our less used clothes back to Aus to regain some space in our backpacks.

    A short walk away was the aptly named Newcastle castle. An old castle from 1177 which was built by Henry II. Originally there was an older motte and bailey style castle. But it was demolished to build the new castle!

    Unfortunately we didn't have the time to explore the inside of the castle, so we had to make do with walking around the outside of it. It was impressively tall, and had a cool fortified gatehouse nearby called the Black Gate. Good stuff!

    We were then in need of a coffee, so we did the unthinkable and stopped at Gregg's and paid full price for some coffees! Fortunately they were nice and didn't let us down. We'll continue shopping there in the future.

    After this we fought pass all the people to get back to the car and made our way to our dinner date with Ros, Mark and of course Bailey! We had a great time, it was lovely to be able to sit and chat and even better because there was a delicious dinner involved!!

    Eventually the night wrapped up and we braved the elements one last time to get back to the hotel, where we ended the night getting a few more steps in before going to bed.

    Step count: 10.3k
    Read more