Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 30

    Pyrenees

    September 22, 2023 in France ⋅ ☁️ 16 °C

    I went for an early morning run whilst Gary worked. Nice way to see the local area. Found a sign stating that the region is a starlight zone - an area of protected natural light. Great to stargaze when there’s no light pollution. It was cloudy the night before but the morning sky before sun up was beautiful and clear.
    Whilst Gary worked I had my breakfast outside sat with the site owners dogs, a friendly pair. Then carried on with my crochet project - operation: crochet a ’rattle jacket’ for my new olive oil bottle! It rattles as we drive. Slightly annoying especially if I’m not allowed the music up high to drown it out.
    When Gary was ready, we drove northbound out of Spain. We originally intended to drive through Andorra but realised that as it’s an independent country/principality it doesn’t abide by EU rules and therefore our phone data roaming would’ve cost us. This means no maps, purchases, messages etc. wouldn’t have been a problem if we were driving straight through but where we were headed, we would have had to turn around and come back a different way which would have meant using maps. Wasn’t that bothered. I’ll forfeit that country/sticker for now. Italy is the same but I think we can just pass straight through?
    So we headed straight out of Spain though it was a much nicer drive then most of Spain’s motorways. Through the mountains. We headed towards France and the Pyrenees with our first stop being in a town called Llívia. Whilst it is in France, is still governed by Spain. It’s a mile in across the border and is completely landlocked by France. During the 1600s and the Franco-Spanish war, the Treaty if the Pyrenees agreed that the Pyrenees became the border between the 2 countries and all villages on the French side would be claimed by France. As Llívia was deemed to be a town, it kept itself as a Spanish enclave. Very interesting though nothing much to note here apart from a few abandoned cars and a very overpriced cash machine. Onward to our overnight stopover in a gorge. Gorgeous drive down through the mountains. Lots of weaving back and forth. Some spectacular views that photos never do justice. Lovely pitch up with some other camping cars (motorhomes) at the bottom of the gorge next to a stream. Temperatures have dropped considerably since we left Spain - from mid twenties to 0 degrees overnight. Had to change out of my shorts and sandals when we arrived. Public toilet is a traditional hole in the ground for the ladies. No different than squatting in a bush so I’m fine with that ;0)
    We went for a good old hike up the mountain near us, hiked a mile upwards then back down, some precarious ledges and stunning views. A good work out too. Back for a fam chat (the guys all have covid!) and dinner.
    We’ve been getting up quite early this week as Gary working so watched our go-to Blackadder and bed. Campers were arriving through the night. Considering how precarious the roads are around here in the day let alone in the dark, is some feat.
    Read more