Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 7

    Maastrich and Scheveningen

    September 7, 2023 in the Netherlands ⋅ ☀️ 30 °C

    First stop today was in Rotterdam. I wanted to take Laura to see Duivenvoordestraat where I was born. I was surprised to see that the entire block of apartments is gutted with no one living there. I suppose the plan is to do a restoration. We did a short walk in the area where my grandmother used to walk to do her shopping and so on.

    From there we drove to Massluis, where my cousin Ton and Cor are living. I have never been there to see their apartment. They recently did a renovation, and it is very nice. Ton had asked what we would like to do and I had suggested that we could have lunch in a local restaurant with some Dutch food on the menu. Instead, Ton made us a delicious pea soup and we ate lunch there.

    Following lunch we went on a long walk throughout the town to see the various points of interest. We also stopped at a waterfront restaurant where we had a cold beverage. Back at the apartment Ton served us a delicious Dutch baked good while we sat on his back rooftop patio.

    When we left Massluis we drove to Scheveningen, which is an Oceanside community near den Hague with a huge sandy beach, which is very popular among the Dutch and other Europeans. It has numerous restaurants on the beach, as well as a large casino. We walked quite a distance along the beach and then back to where we had parked the car.

    To end the day we drove to Amersfoort, which is a very picturesque Dutch town. I had hoped to arrive before dark so that Laura could see the town and the plan was also to find a place to grab some dinner. Unfortunately, we arrived too late and it was dark. However, I did find a place that served Bami. So, that was our dinner!
    Read more