Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 29

    Day Trip Into London

    September 29, 2023 in England ⋅ ☀️ 20 °C

    This is our last full day in Europe. We’ve arranged to take the train to London and spend the day taking in some of the highlights. First we had a short drive to get gas and return the car to the rental place. Boy did it feel good to be done with that! We were really looking forward to a relaxing train trip and walk about the city today. We boarded our commuter train shortly after dropping off the car.

    The plan was to start our day in London with an Uber Boat cruise on the Thames. Our train from Guildford took us to Waterloo Station. We took a metro train to the river at Canary Wharf where we boarded the boat. We stayed on the boat all the way to Battersea Power Station and back to Westminster where we got off to start a walking tour. We were able to see many London sights on the cruise, including Big Ben, Tower Bridge, Houses of Parliament … The Big Eye, Battersea Power Station.

    Once on foot, we walked on the promenade along the river from Westminster to the Millenium Bridge where we crossed over the Thames and walked up St. Paul’s Cathedral. From there we went past Big Ben, Westminster Abbey to Buckingham Palace. We followed Birdcage Walk and other streets to Smithfield Market then, for our final stop, we walked to Covent Gardens, a very busy, popular shopping area and market.

    From there it was quick and easy to make our way back to the metro, catch the train back to Waterloo Station and then a fast, direct commuter train back to Guildford. In Guildford, we walked to a restaurant where you can choose from a variety of noodle and rice dishes on a touchscreen and pay with your card. Your order is sent automatically to the kitchen and you soon get your meal.
    Read more