Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 50

    Hiking to San Juan de Chamula

    June 19, 2021 in Mexico ⋅ 🌧 16 °C

    Being ready at 9am and being a punctual German - two things you wouldn’t connect to Gina.
    Nice breakfast at 11am in the city center and then walking (not really hiking) for 2 1/2 hours. Partly through abandoned and not touristy streets of San Cristóbal, then through a small forest next to a dirty river, muddy ground, probably a few tics and really beautiful silence and then following a street straight to Chamula. On our way we saw the horseback riding tour and I got kinda jealous until this one guy’s stirrup just ripped and he was knocked of the running horse, falling down to earth without a helmet on… he was fine, but the shock was big.
    The purpose of this hike was to go to Chamula, which I will only refer to as town with the crazy chicken church from now on. Chamula is a very traditional and conservative town from what I have seen. All the women wear not perfectly fitting long black skirts out of sheep’s wool and unreveiling tops, there’s more poverty than I have seen so far and for some reason the people here don’t smile. Not even when you say hello, thank you or smile at them… weird! Got the way home we took a Colectivo and in the evening I went out with two guys from Denmark and one from the US for drinks and to a club called “Haus” - the music wasn’t really good but I had a good talk with a Mexican girl in Spanish so I see the positive side. The vibe of the club was people in fancy dresses and suits, booking tables in advance and spending money to show off…
    Read more