Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 4

    Berlin Day 3

    April 2, 2023 in Germany ⋅ ☁️ 9 °C

    Some big highlights in Berlin today. The day started by following a tip from Lucy to have the best breakfast in Berlin. It did not disappoint. Cafe Mugrabi near the East Side Gallery is an Israeli cafe. The boys were dubious to start with, but after trying a few bites of the humous, baked eggs and laffa bread, the boys were hooked. A clear standout meal amongst the pork knuckles and schnitzels.

    We then walked across Oberbaumbrücke, a stunningly ornate bridge leading to the Berlin Wall Eastside Gallery. After spending time examining the Wall, we wandered back towards the centre of town, stumbling on a bohemian village where the boys played on a wonky playground.

    We then headed towards the Memorial for Murdered Jews of Berlin. This was on the list for Tom in particular, and we were warned as we lined up that it would be quite confronting, the younger boys might find it quite heavy. We continued, Tom and Cam absorbed the information and we all felt the gravity of the site. It was a moving memorial, and a testament to Berlin's approach to remembering the Holocaust - respectful, no fuss, honest without glorifying nor shying away from the event.

    We needed a walk following the Memorial and headed across the road to Tiergarten, where we found another playground. It was here that Tom saw his first squirrel, and then continued to film it for the next 15 minutes straight. It was a strange obsession.

    When we booked our trip, one thing I had not considered, nor thought I would need to encounter is Tom being legally old enough to have a beer. In Germany, at 14 you can have a beer or wine in the company of your parents. So, when we sat down at Pauliner München Beerhaus for dinner, that's exactly what Tom did. As far as first beers go, I reckon it was a pretty good one.
    Read more