Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 17

    Happy Days - Day 2

    August 19, 2023 in Australia ⋅ ☀️ 21 °C

    One of Scott’s mottos is “Happy Days”. He repeats this a lot over the radio, along with “good vibes” and “bloody beautiful”. It’s called a tag-along-tour, as he helps us get from place to place, tells us what we’re cooking, then buggers off for the most part.

    Back on the road early (well, beach, I guess). Inland on the island looks less beachy, with a lot of fauna and vegetation but you can still see the sand cover. The guide, Scott, explained the forestry history of the island. The trees are several hundreds of years old and the forestry industry was massive until the government shut it down to preserve the island. This wood supposedly built the Suez Canal. Now the main industries are tourism and fishing - lots of prawn fishing boats just off the coast.

    K’gari is known for its huge population of dingos. Apparently these are purebred dingos, which are unique as most of the others on Australia are cross-bred with the English settler’s dogs. We saw a handful. They’re highly aggressive and like to test out their territory often, and we’re supposed to respond with aggression if attacked. I have a suspicion Amy goes out wrestling them at night to assert her alpha dominance.

    Eli Creek - enjoyed the lazy river running from the springs into the ocean and bit of beach volleyball.

    North coast - saw several humpbacks and minkie whales migrating, which are apparently very playful this time of year jumping out of the water consistently.

    Champagne pools - first saltwater swim on the island. The oceans crash into the rocks and fill up the shallow dips. Water foams up a bit thus the bubbles / ‘champagne’. Saw two manta rays swimming around the pools.

    Stargazing at night from the beach was unbelievable and almost emotional. More stars than I’ve ever seen at one time.
    Read more