Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 45

    Wilpena Pound to Arkaroola, S.A.

    August 1, 2016 in Australia ⋅ ⛅ 15 °C

    As the rain continued to drizzle, we farewelled Wilpena Pound and drove up to Blinman for lunch at the pub. Our plan was to travel inland through the ranges to Arkaroola however the publican at Blinman told us the road had been closed with the wet weather and it was $1000 per tyre fine for any vehicle who traveled on a closed road. Therefore we had to drive back to the main road (part of the Outback Way drive) and continue up through Leigh Creek and back inland at Copley. Arkaroola is 129klm from the turnoff on dirt road. Parts were mushy and we even got a bit sideways in one section! Other than sheep, cattle, horses, and the odd emu, we were lucky enough to see an echnidna run across the road. As I approached, the echnidna poked its nose into the bush and froze.
    The further inland we went the drier the road became however the rain followed us in so we are tucked up waiting to see what the weather brings tomorrow.
    Arkaroola Wilderness Sanctuary is located in the Vulkathunha-Gammon Ranges National Park. It is 640klms by road from Adelaide; 100 klms from the nearest small town over the western horizon. This makes it one of Australia's most isolated villages.
    Read more