Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 51

    Simpson Desert Day 2

    August 7, 2016 in Australia ⋅ ⛅ 22 °C

    7.8.16
    The Simpson Desert is one of the best examples of parallel dunal desert in the world. Prevailing winds formed the longitudinal patterns of the fine sand, dunes which vary in colour and heights up to 40m high. As it is in an arid part of Australia, it's annual rainfall is around 130mm, just slightly higher than the Sahara Desert in Africa. We are extremely lucky to have timed our trip with an unusually high rain event this year meaning that there is still water in parts of the desert, and the flowers are stunning. It is hard to believe we are indeed in a desert!
    We were warned that water at Lake Tamblyn meant we could not continue on the WAA line and needed to cut across to the French line, along the Erabena Track, which we did today. From the French Line we drove to where Knolls Track intersects, and decided to drive down to see the lake. We saw the Approdinna Attora Knolls (limestone capped, flat topped hills) and what looked like several salt lakes, then came across some water but not over the road. Several cars came in the opposite direction suggesting the road was now open but without driving further it is hard to say. We pitched camp about 7 or 8 klms in on the Knolls Track.
    Read more