Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 50

    Mt Dare into the Simpson Desert Day 1

    August 6, 2016 in Australia ⋅ ☀️ 21 °C

    (6.8.16)
    In the morning we drove 70klms onto Dalhousie mound springs, before heading into the Simpson Desert. The Finke River also ends its long journey from the McDonnell Ranges (near Alice Springs) on the western edge of the Simpson Desert. Dalhousie Springs (language name: Irrwanyere) are part of the mounds which make up the outer rim of the Great Artesian Basin. The artesian water comes from deep within the earth and is estimated to be millions of years old. It was much larger than we imagined having visited Mataranka Springs in Qld and the water was a warm temperature similar to a heated pool. From here we drove 70 klms to Purni Bore where it is necessary to attach the sand flag to your vehicle.
    The Simpson Desert is 170 000 square klm expanse stretching from south east of Alice Springs NT, into SA and QLD. The first vehicle crossing was in 1962. It has 1100 rolling dunes of deep red sand and 4 - 6 different tracks or lines to choose from when traversing it. We drove until the track broke into 2 lines - the French and WAA line - we turned onto the WAA and after a couple of hours set up camp just before Lynnies Junction.
    Read more