Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 12

    Vientiane

    January 30, 2018 in Laos ⋅ ⛅ 24 °C

    Vientiane is the capital of Laos and our final stop in this country. There are about 800,000 people, so is quite a large busy city. All the government offices are in the city and are housed in very substantial, colonial looking buildings that are set along broad avenues - very attractive.

    Our tour today started at a compound containing a Stupa surrounded by several other religious buildings. The chief Abbot of Laos has his office and residence in a very fancy building in these grounds (somewhat like a mini. Vatican City). We then visited the Peace Arch, built originally to celebrate victory over the French and is very reminiscent of the Arc de Triumph in Paris, but with an Asian twist. It is set in very nice gardens - Brian elected to climb the Arch to take some pictures, while Anne remained below entertaining the guide. We visited a couple of small museums containing various artefacts, but most things have been destroyed, as Laos has been attacked many times over the years by it seems, just about everyone who borders the country.

    The final stop was at COPE where they try to help with the Loas people who have been injured by cluster bombs, land mines etc etc. Quite a moving experience. I must admit that we were not aware just how heavily the US bombed Laos and of course without ever declaring war or anything. Apparently if the planes could not find their targets in Vietnam, then they just dumped their bombs on Laos because it was too dangerous to land the planes with a full bomb load. Considering the billions the US spent on the bombs the amount they have contributed to the clean up is minimal and quite frankly, shameful.

    After a little lunch at a French style bakery/cafe, we retired to the very pleasant pool at the hotel for more R and R.

    We discovered on arrival at the hotel that our rate included a special Laos dinner. We were offered to have it poolside or inside,and elected the first option, so this evening we were sat in solitary splendour beside the pool for our dinner. The food consisted of cooked and uncooked spring rolls ( excellent) Laos sausage- very spicy, fish and chicken each cooked and served in banana leaf. Steamed veg and sticky rice. An interesting meal! Dessert was fresh Mango served with coconut ice cream, sweetened coconut milk and of course sticky rice, generally quite nice, although Loas cuisine isn’t high on our list of must have food!
    Read more