Satellite
  • Day 19

    Hanoi 2

    February 6, 2018 in Vietnam ⋅ ⛅ 17 °C

    We returned to Hanoi from Halong Bay for an overnight before catching our plane to Da Nang the next day.

    It happened to be a Sunday when the road around the lake near our hotel is closed to traffic and turned over to pedestrians. The locals really take advantage of the opportunity. Lots of younger people but also many families. There were a number of places offering mini electric cars and tanks etc for the kids to ride on. There were groups playing hacky sacky, playing badminton, groups all in costume, videoing themselves dancing to rock music. There were groups of graduating students in formal wear etc. There were areas where kids were building towers with wooden blocks; areas where they were playing some game that required moving white stones around boards chalked on the street. All mixed in with street vendors, roller skaters and a few wedding groups. Everyone seemed very happy and relaxed and interestingly very few were on their cell phones. After the hustle bustle of our visit a few days earlier, it was nice to see a softer side to Hanoi.

    We had a late lunch among the partygoers before returning to our hotel for another early night.
    Read more