Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 70

    Singapore

    June 29, 2023 in Singapore ⋅ ☁️ 32 °C

    A very quick stop in Singapore, staying for 3 nights, which was about all we were prepared to pay for. It’s an extremely expensive place and accommodation costs are crazy. But, as our luck had it, our timings coincided with the arrival of my sister and fam on the first day of their travelling trip. Freda was so excited and Otto couldn’t wait to see what mischief he could get up to with Jude.

    We tried to cram in as much as we could in our 2 days, walking around the quayside, taking in the new and very impressive gardens on the bay and observing with bewilderment the new building sitting right on the bay, which looks like it has a long boat plonked on top of it. Every night there is a showy light display which lights up the whole bay. Which we enjoyed on our first night.

    Amongst all this amazing infrastructure, my highlight was seeing wild otters in the quay, probably why I live in rural Devon. It’s a very impressive city, but maybe it’s all a little to much? A canal through the basement of a shopping mall, where you can get ripped off and ride on a small boat, when a whole harbour is sitting outside!!!! Call me old fashioned but surely the real boats are better???

    Next day the wait was over and we met up with Leonie, Spencer and the kids for a fun packed day at the zoo, a quick go in a splash park and finishing off with dinner in Chinatown. We all had a great time, although there was a tad of jet lag in the air! Only a brief reunion, but we are looking forward to hooking up again, for a little longer in Indonesia.

    Next day we were on the move again. We had been advised to spend some time at the airport as, of course in Singapore there is the worlds highest man made waterfall!!! Piercing it’s way through the centre of a shopping mall! It’s all a little silly, a bit OTT
    and very very expensive. But it was fun.
    Read more