Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 5

    Day Five - Delphi

    June 15, 2022 in Greece ⋅ ⛅ 81 °F

    At Delphi was the shrine to the god Apollo, who was worshipped as a good looking god of music and art. He was followed by the nine muses. At Delphi, there have been vapors for centuries coming out of the rocks. The oracle (female) was supposedly gifted by Apollo to inhale the natural vapors and then predict the future. The most reliable oracles of the ancient times were in Delphi and people believed she was relaying information straight from Apollo.

    Upon arriving, we walked up the hill to the Athenian treasury (lots of inscriptions on the walls about the Athenian victory over the Persians), the theater, and the temple of Apollo. The oracle worked from the basement of Apollo’s temple. The views from the temple and above are simply incredible!

    The museum on site had many beautiful artifacts found from the area. The Greek sphinx and silver bull were some of my favorites. You can see some of the loot from the Athenian treasury/ spoils from the Persian war. Also featured is the name of the Roman governor Gallo, who had been with Paul when they were in Corinth (this information helped scholars learn more about Paul’s timeline.
    Read more