Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 13

    Glacier Express : Zermatt to Chur

    April 10, 2023 in Switzerland ⋅ ☁️ 11 °C

    Checked out of our chalet in Stalden and our host kindly drove our luggage up the hill on his little buggy. He and his wife also walked us to the station and we chatted bees, covid and their family in Australia. Very friendly people and great hosts. We were the first guests to stay there from Adelaide - so proudly put a pin in their map on the wall.

    Took the early train back to Zermatt and boarded the Glacier Express. This is a luxury train that goes all the way from Zermatt to St Moritz. We took it as far as Chur.

    So today was 250km in 7 hours slowly weaving through the Swiss alps. It’s billed as the slowest fast train in the world. The pictures I took don’t do it justice - there is a bit of sun glare so photography is difficult. But I was glad to just soak it in and enjoy it today. I took the least photos today out of the whole trip - even though it was one of the more impressive visual days. The water off the glaciers is a rich blue colour that (I know I keep saying this) is out of a postcard.

    Ben is still quite unwell so he rested all day and Clare decided she wanted to watch movies….🤷‍♂️ ……as you do when the Swiss alps are just outside the window. Probably shouldn’t have given her the window seat.

    When we arrived in Chur I was feeling very sluggish after sitting all day - so Krissi and I went for a 5km jog around the town while the kids chilled in the hotel. Only my second run post marathon and need to get back into it.

    Chur is a cute town of only 35k people surrounded by snow topped mountains and is the home of Calanda brewery - which uses the water from alpine glaciers to make their beer.

    Finished the day with a salad at KFC! Which was the only healthy option in town on Easter Monday. Clare ate her body weight in chicken.

    The hotel is tiny, the Ibis experience in Switzerland has been tiny rooms and nice bars. This place is the same except for the nice bar. At least we have an air bnb in Milan, which is our next stop.
    Read more