Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 17

    Milan to Venice

    April 14, 2023 in Italy ⋅ ☁️ 14 °C

    The less said the better about the first half of today.
    Italian train workers went on strike - so instead of arriving in Venice before lunch it was closer to 2pm. We had to take 2 trains and stand for an hour on one because 3 trains worth of people impacted by the cancellations piled into the one fast train and all the rules went out the window!

    Then when we arrived at our hotel in Venice the concierge was on a long, long lunch - and didn’t come back until some concerned locals called him and helped us out.

    So basically didn’t get going until nearly 3pm in Venice.

    But that’s the negative out the way - Venice is great - albeit completely overrun with tourists (us included). It’s hard to move without bumping into a group of tourists. Every line has 90% respectful people waiting their turn and then an Italian lady who can’t be bothered waiting and has decided she is pushing in right at the front - or right in front of us at least.

    Positives - sorry - there is something special and unique about a city with 180 islands and 400 bridges. We managed to walk about 10000 steps in a few hours and am looking forward to more exploring over the weekend.
    Read more