Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 22

    Rome to Sorrento

    April 19, 2023 in Italy ⋅ ☀️ 20 °C

    Didn’t take many photos of this day - which is a shame because it was an interesting one.
    Started the day slowly in Rome after an interesting nights sleep (a drunk lady was making a phone call in the hallway outside our room at midnight - it was in Italian so no idea what she was saying but I think she liked the guy….), checked out of our hotel and walked across to the train station with all of our luggage. We are getting better at it but it’s still a pain in the butt - especially for Clare who struggles.

    Spent some time in the train station waiting before getting in our last regional train this trip. The extra for 1st class has been worth it, we get drinks, snacks, plenty of baggage room and our own reclining seats. Economy class flying home will be a shock to the system.

    We caught the train from Rome to Naples with a top speed of 280km/h. Why we don’t have these in Australia baffles me. You could go Adelaide to Melbourne in 2-3 hours and enjoy a movie on the way.

    Once we got off the trim in Naples it was clear this was going it be a hectic stop. Tried to negotiate with a taxi driver for a fare to the ferry which only annoyed him and he spent the first half of the trip bringing it up.

    Which helped distract us from his driving - which was hectic. I assume everyone drives like that in Naples from what I could see - but being in the front seat made it an experience.

    Then boarded a ferry with a bunch of English tourists - and just as we are boarding they randomly grabbed people to pay a 3 euro luggage tax. I made it through but Krissi got caught out.

    The ferry was great, saw Mount Vesuvius as we entered Sorrento.

    Once we arrived we decided to take the stairs rather than get a cab. Do not recommend….

    Sorrento is lovely - albeit very focussed on getting money from tourists. Sounds familiar on this trip…..

    Had our customary aperol and then a meal out.
    Read more