Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 7

    Isla Gigantes day 1

    March 23, 2018 on the Philippines ⋅ 🌙 19 °C

    Up at 4.30 which was painful! Got a van between 10 of us to drive us to the boat port. I slept for the whole way, so tired! People on the trip were: Emma, Hannah, Tegan, Sophie, Emma S, Keziah, Claudio, Laura and Anne.
    Lots of waiting around but eventually got shown to our boat. Had to walk across a dodgy looking gang plank and hope we didn’t drop our bags in the water!
    The boat resembled a spider with floats out on sticks at the side. Not particularly sea-worthy. We had an hour and a half journey where we thought we were going to capsize. Got completely soaked through to the point where I might as well have jumped into the sea.
    After a sketchy journey, we arrived at an incredibly beautiful island, with white sand and clear blue water. We were greeted with a fresh seafood lunch of clams, chicken stew and rice. The meal was made slightly uncomfortable by all of the stray dogs begging around us and red ants clinging everywhere. The rooms were cute wooden huts with 6 beds in each. Some electricity but no phone signal to be had.
    We then went for a dip in the sea which was heaven. Perfect temperature, just beautiful.
    Next we got changed and ready to go on a hike up to some caves on the island. It was a hard hour long hike, clambering over rocks with blistering heat and humidity.
    Eventually got to the top and found some pretty magnificent caves - Pawikan cave or sea turtle.
    Lots of interesting geological features and photo opportunities. 3 chambers with holes up at the top so you could see the sky. Stood on a precarious rock to get a great photo. Had to get help on the way down as there were some pretty tricky parts with big drops down the sides.
    Made it down and rewarded ourselves with another swim in the sea.
    Then had dinner, bbq pork and fish with more rice. Drinks and card games followed, which sort of escalated to the point of some people being completely smashed. Lots of fun and good to bond with everyone.
    Eventually all got to bed at about midnight.
    Read more