Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 26

    Obs and gynae day 3

    April 11, 2018 on the Philippines ⋅ 🌙 30 °C

    Up at the usual time and in hospital for 8am. Had agreed to show one of the new girls how to get on the jeepney seeing as I am now one of the expert and oldest remaining housemates! Went to the delivery room and walked in to find a lady just about to deliver so got to see one straight away. Then had a long wait before the next one. Was on with Tegan this morning and she was reading a book so I didn’t really get to talk much. It was super hot on the ward today so I kept going in to the newborn observation area as this has air con next to it so I could cuddle babies and be cool. In total we saw 4 deliveries in the morning, 2 of which came pretty rapidly after one another and so it was all hands on deck. One of them also had what looked to be a reasonably severe post partum haemorrhage but the doctor didn’t seem particularly concerned.
    Went to go get some lunch with some of the new girls. Went to the mall down the road from the hospital and had pork sisig and spring rolls. Then headed back to the delivery room to get a few more hours in to make up for missing days this week. Nothing was happening and so I was just about to leave when everything kicked off. A 32 weeker c section was brought in for resus, meanwhile a girl was rushed in from A&E already fully dilated and just about to go. Then quite soon after a 31 week lady who had been on tocolysis and steroids ended up delivering and the baby came out in a bad way, covered in meconium and floppy. They managed to resuscitate it but it’s APGARs we’re still pretty rubbish so I don’t know how well it will do, poor thing!
    Left hospital at about 3:30pm and headed back to the house. Felt pretty exhausted so had a nap. Just about surfaced for dinner and then headed back to my room to pack as I am going to Palawan tomorrow! Have to be up at 3am so an early night for me.
    Read more