Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 95

    Corn Islands, Nicaragua

    May 24, 2016 in Nicaragua ⋅ ⛅ 28 °C

    How long: 6 Nights
    Stayed: Mimundo (big corn), Green House & Elsa's Place (little corn)
    Travelling with: Susan, Tom & Pete

    Flew from Managua to big Corn on an amazing little 12 seater plane which was pretty cool and amazing views as it flew so low. Met a new friend on the plane...Pete from Switzerland who lives just beside lake Konstanz. He was surprised to find that I had lived there. Naturally thought I would speak German...bless him! He was to be our partner in crime for the next week...and even managed to understand Susan...eventually! :)
    Stayed one night in Big Corn and had a really nice cycle around the island, stopping off for beer and fresh fish lunch and a swim on a beautiful beach. Finished off with a beer watching yet another beautiful sunset on Aeanis beach. Then back to the hostel where the boys cooked us dinner and we chilled and chatted. Next day we headed off to little corn on a Panga.
    Little Corn was a treat. No cars and everything within a 30 minute walk. The first language of the people is an English Creole that sounds like Jamaica. Island was once inhabited by British Pirates who brought in African Slaves to grow corn...hence the name and the caribbean culture. So funny to hear that accent in central america. Everyone so wonderfuly friendly and helpful. We stayed first two nights in a hostel that was fine apart from being stinking hot. The island has water and electricity scarcity so power is turned off from 6am to 1pm every day. So at 1 minute past six you are awake in a lather of sweat as the fan goes off. Even Susan was getting up early! Third day we moved to the other side of the island where there was a fabulous sea breeze and we got ourselves two little cabanas right on the water. Next few days were spent relaxing, snorkeling, swimming and eating. Bliss. The island is covered in mango trees and they fall to the ground and lie there for anyone to eat. Going for nice walks and fuelling myself with fresh mango along the way. Loved it.
    We met a really lovely English/French couple (Kelly and Dorian) who had moved to the island and were building a house. Many evenings spent at the happy hour with them (where everyone seemed to congregate). Saturday night we ended up in the local Raggae Bar until the wee hours of the morning. Great fun!!!
    Susan and I went snorkelling twice and saw Baracuda, Nurse Sharks, black tipped Reef Shark, Eagle Rays, Sting Rays, and so many different types of fish. The water was an amazing turquoise colour and crystal clear.
    Unfortunately we couldn't stay for ever so after a week we got the boat back to big corn, spent one night there and took the early flight back to Managua on the 1st.
    Read more