Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 4

    Olatavo Markets, Mountains and Lakes

    April 5 in Ecuador ⋅ ☁️ 19 °C

    The first stop was in Cayambe for some traditional breakfast of bizcochos with cheese and dulche de leche and lesson on the traditional applications of agave plant by the Indigenous people. It was also explained to us, that most of the towns in Ecuador have their own unique craft and product and don't clash with other towns, so if you want a particular product, you go to that town.
    Stopped by at the San Pablo lake viewpoint which was stunning.
    This was followed by a visit to the Olatavo markets where we were able to purchase some local artisanal items including ponchos. We learned about the mythical hero Aya Huma. Olatavo is an interesting mix of indigenous traditions with modern culture, the best example of this being the traditional clothing style which is still worn by older generation women but the men had to wear more normal clothing when they had to travel to Quito for work during the economic crisis.
    After Olatavo we walked to Cuicoha lake (guinea pig lake) which used to be known as the lake of the gods before the Spanish came and said there is only one God and the name was changed.
    Read more