Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 2

    In Espelette

    May 18, 2017 in France ⋅ 🌧 11 °C

    Today started with a little drizzle as we walked over to the patisserie for coffee and a pastry. Kathy spied a big bag of day old pastries for 2 euros and bought them for the road. That was probably the best bargain of the whole Camino de Baztán. Even at one day old, French pastries are superb!

    The walk out of Bayonne was along the river, many pleasant car-free kms on a path. But the rain was constant. Soaked, we walked into Ustaritz 14 km later. There was a bar where we took refuge and had a coffee. Still the rain came down. Then we decided to have a bowl of soup and still the rain came down. Another coffee or tea and we decided there was no point in waiting any longer. So the last 10 km were just like the first 14 --rain every step. It is beautiful countryside, with farmhouses, crops, and meadows with lots of goats and sheep grazing.

    When we arrived in Espelette, the thought of an albergue was not too appealing. Nuala remembered the name of a hotel that has special pilgrim prices. When the owner told us she would dry our shoes in the boiler room, that sealed the deal. So here we are, showered and happy, having walked around this cutesy town and visited the church. Dinner in 20 minutes. Rain in the forecast again tomorrow.
    Read more