Satellite
  • Day 17

    ... in Boo de Piélagos

    June 2, 2017 in Spain ⋅ ☁️ 17 °C

    Well it was supposed to be a 30 km day. It turned out to be 36.5. But what a route! A guy who writes a guide to this Camino suggested an alternative to what would have been 12 awful kms on asphalt. So I guess I walked 24 extra kms to go off road. That may sound silly but it was probably the most beautiful coastal route I've ever walked.

    First go around Santander's harbor, past lovely houses on cliffs, then past three large city beaches, the Casino and even a golf course. Up and up to the lighthouse where things start getting amazing. And for all but the last 6 km (4 on pine needles, 2 on the road), you are never far from the ocean.

    It was cloudy and foggy, but even so it was incredibly beautiful. Mass tourism development was limited to two or three little spots and the rest was pretty pristine. I would love to repeat this in sunny weather!

    So taking this route meant that I entered the town of Boo from a different direction than the Camino. As I came into the albergue, two guys were sitting outside. A little later one of them came up and asked why I had come in from a different direction. When I told him I had walked the coast, he very disapprovingly told me that HE was walking the Camino. Ah yes, love those judgmental jerks. But I'd do it again in a heartbeat!!
    Read more