Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 6

    Mosaics everywhere in Ravenna

    December 22, 2017 in Italy ⋅ 🌙 4 °C

    About an hour by train from Bologna, Ravenna has more churches in its historic core than I think I have ever seen. We concentrated on the early Christian ones (4th- 6th centuries) though there were lots of medieval and neoclassical as well. I don’t think I saw any gothic, though. The mosaics are the prime attraction — hard to believe they’re from the 4th and 5th century Some beautiful scenes with maidens and martyrs going to pay homage, lots of bible stories, and some emperors and empresses thrown in for good measure.

    We had a good lunch in a recommended place, sharing a risotto and a pizza but leaving more than half of it untouched. I just can’t get used to eating a big meal at noon. One of my favorites of the day was the moving nativity scene in the cathedral. Women drawing water, weaving, spinning; men shoeing horses, at a forge— obviously made with a lot of love.

    We didn’t feel like a big meal, so we went to the market area and had a meat and cheese plate. Very very good.

    Tomorrow we will explore Bologna. Museums and churches, our daily ritual.
    Read more