Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 13

    In Granada

    April 20, 2018 in Spain ⋅ ⛅ 22 °C

    Today’s walk was perfect, except that it was way too short. We were sitting in a cafe in Granada having a coffee by 10:30. Almost all off road, some wide open ridge walks with views of the Sierra Nevada, then a descent to walk along a stream and past an old monastery in ruins. The final part took us through Sacramonte, where the many gypsy caves have been turned into tourist attractions.

    This is the end of the first 200 kms. It’s also where Alun leaves, and Herminia and Rupert, my Austrian pals, keep on walking. So tomorrow I start out alone, knowing I will meet up with a new batch of peregrinos.

    We are staying in a convent of the Sisters of some order of Santiago. There are 22 of them in charge of this huge place, and they are all always scurrying around cleaning and washing and sweeping. None of the nuns are Spanish. Our individual rooms with private bath are spotless, a great deal at 20€.

    Most important event of the day —buying a new good hiking hat!!!

    This afternoon we hoofed it up to the Alhambra grounds. No tickets available but we had a nice shady walk up and around the walls. Last time I visited the Alhambra was 1995 and it has only gotten more popular. It is beautiful, no doubt about it.

    Tonight I will meet up with a Santiago friend who lives here in Granada. It will have to be an early night because I am hoping to start walking tomorrow before 7 am.
    Read more