Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 14

    38 long kms to Moclin

    April 21, 2018 in Spain ⋅ ☀️ 22 °C

    But I’m here in time to go visit the gorgeous castle!!!

    Today was much longer than I had planned. My first choice was to try the new alternative that goes through a town called Abolote. Missed that somehow so I knew I’d have a longer day. Then I managed to get on the longer (but nicer I’m sure) off road route through olive groves up and up and then down and down before the last, and biggest, ascent. Gorgeous and not too tough but I was dragging a bit by then. And the snow covered Sierra Nevada are still in view!

    The way out of Granada was the typical city exit. 5 kms on asphalt past warehouses, dumped junk, unfinished subdivisions, etc. After the town of Pinos Puente, the landscape changed dramatically and I walked for kms and kms through olive groves. And 9 hours later I arrived in Moclin. I’m staying in a Casa rural—no Albergue here—and have a decent room for25€.

    I lucked out by being here on a weekend, because the castle is only open on Saturday and Sunday. It is really impressive. I’m glad I had enough energy I go up and visit it. Tomorrow’s 24 km will seem like a walk in the park. That is tempting fate I know.
    Read more