Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 5

    Perfect Day

    October 6, 2019 in Greece ⋅ ⛅ 23 °C

    Today was one of those “it doesn’t get any better than this” days. Our first stop was Oia, another village on the Caldera with impossibly perfect white houses and all those white and blue churches. With clear blue sky and water, and strong sun, it was dazzling.

    I had read about the oldest church on the island, 11th Century AD. Had to find it of course — google maps took us on some crazy dirt roads, and at one point a very nice young guy had to get in the car and turn us around where we were stuck in a dead end. But we did make it only to find it closed up tight, with its mosaics visible from the window. In the parking lot, a villager dinged our rental car. Luckily there was a young guy nearby who spoke English and seemingly took care of everything. We’ll see if that’s the case when we drop off the car tomorrow morning.

    Last stop Pyrgos, highest town on the island. We had a massive kebab lunch at a lively outdoor terrace. Great views, more blue domed churches, less touristy — at least so we thought till three busloads of tourists descended on the town — time for a quick getaway.

    Ended the day with one more sunset, one more elliptical workout, one more dinner on our room terrace. Tomorrow we drop off the car at the airport at 8, take a van to the port, and hopefully hop on a boat to Mykonos.
    Read more