Satellite
  • Day 3

    Jet lag day in Leon

    September 8, 2021 in Spain ⋅ ⛅ 20 °C

    I had a really nice day in the historical center of Leon. I visited the cathedral with its stained glass windows, which are in my opinion the very very best. I also went to San Isidoro, the Romanesque pantheon where all the Leonés kings are buried. Amazing XI C paintings all over the ceiling -last supper, Cristo Pantocrato, a sweet 12-panel depiction of the months of the year, just beautiful but no pictures allowed. But it wasn’t a totally touristic morning. I also had to buy fruit and yoghurt for my walk and my Spanish phone card.

    In the afternoon my friend Rebekah, who lives about 80 km from here, drove over for lunch. It was really really great to see her. After she bought 500 candles for her little church in Moratinos, we went to a very delicious Japanese restaurant. Reb had to head home during a rain, and I ducked into the Leon municipal museum, which covers human habitation in Leon from the very beginning, starting a hundred thousand years ago.

    WhatsApp works extremely well for free video and audio phone calls. When the wifi is weak, the video fades out but it’s been great so far.

    Sunrise is late— not till 8 am. I am glad I have my headlamp because I am programmed to leave early. 38 km tomorrow and there are a few ups and downs. Since I haven’t walked since 2019 it remains to be seen how much of my Camino power I’ve lost. Tomorrow will be the test.

    Early to bed and early to rise. Can’t wait to walk tomorrow!!!
    Read more