Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 18

    Second day on the Camiño Verde

    September 23, 2021 in Spain ⋅ ⛅ 21 °C

    Wow the second day bore no resemblance as our transition from the Primitivo was completed in Sobrado dos Monxes.

    Yesterday in Friol I met a nice Dutch woman who had walked the obviously much better Verde route from Lugo to Friol. We had dinner together and I was fascinated to learn all about her job as a card dealer in a big casino. You just can’t stop meeting interesting people on the Camino!

    We started out together this morning, and the walk went from one lovely green tunnel to a lovely pine forest back to another green tunnel and then through some Meadows. It was just gorgeous. We arrived at Sobrado dos Monxes, which has an Albergue in a very old monastery. I wanted to continue on a few more kilometers and wound up in heaven. The Abeira da Loba was built on the ruins of the house of the owners’ grandparents. Super modern, super echo, just absolutely a wonderful place. There’s a very nice albergue upstairs but I’m in one of the oh so comfy private rooms.

    I am going to go out and lie in a hammock, but not until I finish the weirdest post-walking task I have ever undertaken. I am sitting on about five ice cubes. For the last few days I’ve had a bad pain in some muscle that must be in the middle of my butt, but runs down through my leg. And when I stumble on or kick a stone (not infrequently,unfortunately) the pain shoots up. Yesterday with some ice and anti-inflammatory cream, things got much better. So I’m hoping for some equal improvement today.

    Wonderful day of 32 kms and about 400 m elevation. My sweet spot is a few kms and a few hundred meters lower than last camino, but I’m still chugging along!
    Read more