Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 23

    Mandayona to Siguenza

    May 31, 2023 in Spain ⋅ ⛅ 14 °C

    Hard to imagine a more perfect camino day, 25 Km and 400 m elevation. We started at 7 and soon entered the Barranco del Rio Dulce, a canyon with the “Sweet River” running through it. Beautiful, shaded, and cool with cliffs towering above. My one (very minor) disappointment was that I only saw one big raptor bird. I was expecting to see them flying all over.

    Leaving the canyon, we stayed close to the river, but now through ag fields. These were the best looking fields we’ve seen, some really verdant green and lots of wild flowers.

    The camino goes through the little town of Pelegrina, with the optional short detour up to the castle (which is totally in ruins). But the views, oh my goodness the views. I took a long boots off rest, enjoying the views in every direction.

    From there to Siguenza was about 8 Km. First a short steep up to the top on rocky narrow paths, then several kms across the plateau on very rocky terrain. The last three kms down to town were all with the castle/parador in view. And the camino went about two minutes from the entrance. So so tempting. In I went and got a decent rate.

    We had an excellent meal in El Atrio. Right across from the cathedral. Then a cathedral visit and that was the end of the day!
    Read more