Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 1

    On our way

    September 5, 2023 in the United States ⋅ ☁️ 30 °C

    When I came home from my Camino this year, Joe was feeling a little left out. So when he said — I’d love to go back to Italy one more time — I volunteered to make that happen. Big sacrifice, I know. So here we are in O’Hare. I had my moments when I thought it wouldn’t happen, but Joe has been really motivated to keep his physical activity up, do balance exercises, walk a few miles a day, all these things that usually I have to nag about. So it’s really a win-win.

    Hotels are now the way for us to go, so I found a nice one in Florence with a fitness center and got a room for a week. We are not going to do the rush-rush-rush tourist agenda of our younger days. One attraction a day and that is it. Rest of the time for cappucinos, piazzas, walking, and eating. No David this time. Maybe the Uffizi, but no crushing to see Venus. But I will climb as many towers as I can while Joe is napping.

    After Florence, I think we will go to Cinque Terre, Lucca, and Siena. But that is all subject to change depending on how our week in Florence goes. I wasn’t sure about how Cinque Terre would be for Joe’s somewhat limited mobilitiy, but a recommended boat ride option convinced me! Small boat for 8 people, prosecco on board with some charcuterie, I can deal with that. So the current plan is to spend three nights in Monterosso (northernmost town in Cinque Terre) , two in Lucca and two in Siena. It will be crowded, I know, but the weather looks great and we will just deal with the crowds.

    We have, I think, a great way to get to Florence. Champaign-Chicago-Barcelona-Florence. Left Champaign at 2:30 pm and we should arrive in Florence by about 1 pm. We are in Chicago and will soon be taking off. .One leg down, two to go!
    Read more