Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 10

    Rainy days and classes

    October 17, 2023 in Portugal ⋅ ☁️ 20 °C

    It’s hard to dig very deep in a two week class, especially when the students for the most part have no idea about any aspect of the US legal system. But it is always a lot of fun and I always try to get them thinking. There are about 30 students in the class, half Portuguese, and half participating on the EU Erasmus exchange, from all over the EU. It’s a wonderful thing to see all the interaction. Hopefully it will lead to greater understanding.

    I have to admit that most of the fun these days has been in the classroom and not outside, since it’s been gray and rainy and drizzly and raining. But I have very much enjoyed walking around the neighborhood and looking at it through my amateurish urban planning eye.

    Bottom line — I would give the planning department of Lisbon an F minus in what they have done to this neighborhood, Rego. It’s an old area, but it is now blocked on all sides – one side by the railroad, two sides by elevated four lane roads, and one side with dead end streets leading to a hilltop. With no way out.

    In terms of buildings, there are three types— very old small houses, some maintained, some in ruins. Then there are the 60-70s three story blocky apartment buildings. And then there are the recent shiny glass buildings that tower over everything else. The neighborhood has some of the old-timey market stands and shops that fix everything. I talked to some residents who told me there is a very active neighborhood association fighting for some attention. But they say the owners of the glitzy fancy buildings get all the attention.
    Read more