Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 35

    Heading Home

    July 15, 2018 in Russia ⋅ ⛅ 14 °C

    What an incredible journey.
    To visit Russia with my old mate Brownie and support our national team was a great experience in itself. Amazingly we only had one blue but Russian beer is a great therapy.
    Then to meet Matt 5000 kms away in Central Siberia at Irkutsk and traverse Lake Baikal (holding 20% of the Earth's freshwater supply) as few others have done, meet the indigenous people of Ulan-Ude, stay in their homes and join them for meals and reflect on their history; soviet and other.
    The Trans Siberian Railway to Vladivostok, feel the pride of it's citizens in its significance to Russia, its food and history in the Pacific Ocean.
    Kamchatka should be on everybody's to do list, don't leave it to the bucket list its too wild and beautiful.
    Russian conservation in this part of the world is in good hands.
    We visit the Valley of the Guysers by helicopter visting three conservation areas over 6 hours.
    Fish the waters and enjoy the catch pan fried.
    Ride the dog sled and feel the enthusiasm to their task. Pick me, pick me! they yelp when they realise the harnesses are being prepared. 120 mallamut huskies begging to be included in the team of six.
    Matt has envisaged an amazing journey and made it work.
    Thanks, Matt, for asking me.
    Thanks to Rhon for encouraging me.
    You should join us when we go you won't be disappointed.
    Read more