Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 2

    Paluma National Park

    May 21, 2023 in Australia ⋅ ☀️ 23 °C

    For our second camp we headed to Paluma National Park, the Big Crystal Creek Campsite. A free spot, there were ample secluded areas, each with their own firepit. We nabbed a great little spot, before heading off to explore some of the park.

    We drove up into the mountains to Little Crystal Creek - a popular swimming spot comprised of several mini waterfalls and waterholes. We walked further down from the main area, away from the groups and families and found two beautiful swimming spots all to ourselves.

    A quick dip to cool down in freezing water, lunch was a meat pie cooked in the car oven and a beer- doesn’t get much more Australian than that!

    Later that afternoon, after setting up camp and trialling some of Josie’s favourite purchases - a very aesthetic wooden camp table, turf and an inflatable ottoman was found at Bunnings for $7 - we went to find Paradise Waterfall located just 100m from our site.

    It was incredible! We hadn’t planned to have a swim as it was 5pm and cooling down but it looked so beautiful we had to do it. Much warmer than the other creek, and we backed it up the next morning with a lovely 7.30am swim. Definitely fresh!

    After our early start we headed further up into the park to the teeny town of Paluma. We couldn’t believe there was infrastructure and houses after the longest, windiest road that is 1000km above sea level!

    A lovely 4km walk we came across Cloudy Creek Falls which was breathtaking- a waterfall made up of 4 cascading waterholes, absolutely crystal clear and with a view of a steep drop off and of the rainforest. Again, wasn’t going to swim but how could you miss out? Also what a photo opp! However it was FREEZING, almost couldn’t get in.
    Read more