Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 14

    Pancake rocks

    November 20, 2016 in New Zealand ⋅ ⛅ 16 °C

    The blow hole of the pancake rocks are only blowing at hight tide, which was unfortunately at 4am, however if your lucky and the sea is rough it still blows up to 3 hours after high tide.

    So we had the choice of waking up at 6am to potentially see the blow hole in action or just sleeping in and the only seeing the rocks but at least we got a good night sleep. We opted for option B before we went to bed.

    For some reason Isabel woke up just before 6am and looked outside and the weather was nice so she woke me up to go check out the blow hole. I was not extremely happy to be awake and then the sandflies destroyed my ankles as I was trying to get some clothes on. Then minutes after we started walking to the pancake rocks is started raining cats and dogs. All of that combined caused for a very grumpy Roedolf. The only positive was that we took our rain gear just in case and this time it came in handy.

    The pancake rocks is a very weird phenomenon as it literally looks like the rocks was created by layers of rocks that looks like pancakes stacked on each other, really quite spectacular. Then we were lucky enough that the sea was rough enough to see a couple of blows of the blow hole.

    As for the weather, by the time we got to the pancake rocks the sun was shining and the a few minutes later as we walked back it rained again, little did we know this will be the case for most of the morning. When we got to the camp the sun was out and no clouds in sight, so we decided that doing some laundry was not a bad idea as it will easily dry in this sun. In the end we had to put the laundry in the dryer as it probably rained about 7 times between the time we woke up and noon when we left the camp site.

    On the way out of Punakaiki we stopped and quickly walked the Truman track, nice 30 minute track that takes you to a beautiful small pebble beach with hollowed out lime stone rocks around it.

    {Roedolf}
    Read more