Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 39

    Day 39 ~ 13,450 Miles, Bora Bora

    February 12, 2020 in French Polynesia ⋅ ☀️ 82 °F

    Day 39 ~ 13,450
    I experienced one of the most incredible days to date. Following the amazing sunrise, we boarded a glass bottom boat for what was billed as a swim stop with stingrays and a photo stop of sharks.

    First, our tour boat operator proved his worth by steering with his foot while playing the ukulele and singing a Polynesian tune.

    After settling in a nice spot to view some wonderful aquarium quality fish the sharks suddenly appeared as if they’d been called to center stage. I then watched in disbelief as he dove into the water. He swam with the blacktip sharks and lured them under the boat into our view. When later asked, he told us that he can hold his breath for more than three minutes!

    It wasn’t until an 8 foot lemon shark approached that he used more caution.

    On our way to swim with the stingrays he noticed a manta ray then another and finally a third. Such dramatic, graceful, and beautiful creatures.

    Our last stop was in chest high water where we would swim with the rays. Our guide didn’t disappoint, he was in the water with food to attack about a dozen stingrays. We were laughing and petting the rays when the sharks appeared seemingly out of nowhere. He said not to worry, blacktip sharks are usually docile!

    SO WE SWAM WITH SHARKS!

    As if the day could get any better, we then found an unforgettable beach and swam, walked, and lounged away the remainder of the afternoon. Perfect.

    Back on board the Mariner, Captain Aivo announced that American Samoa has closed the ports effective today to all cruise traffic out of an abundance of caution for the well being of the isolated population due to the Coronavirus. We now have an unexpected 4 days at sea with extreme weather predicted for days 2 and 3.

    Stay tuned for dramatic weather updates. 😬. Now where did I put my life jacket?!
    Read more