Satellite
  • Day 172

    Day 171: Relaxing in Nyuangshwe

    December 4, 2016 in Myanmar ⋅ ⛅ 31 °C

    Finally we'd finished our hike, had a nice hotel for relaxing and all the time in the world. So we made the most of it! Had a lazy breakfast in the hotel before heading back to the room, only to discover that the decent wifi from yesterday was now down, and no word on when it might be back up!

    We puttered around in the room for a bit, I went out to a laundry service, then we headed out for lunch. Figured we might as well go back to Chillax Bistro since they served Illy coffee and had pretty good food. Prices were steep by Myanmar standards, but still fairly cheap for non-backpacker Westerners (I think our two baguettes, coffee and fresh juice was about $13).

    We stayed here for a couple of hours since their wifi was quite functional and working nicely! Back to the hotel around 2pm where we sat around the pool for a couple of hours. Unfortunately it was too cold to really swim in (the last water we'd been in was 30+ degrees in the Philippines) so we just lazed around relaxing instead.

    Evening approached and we headed into the main part of town where the canal from the lake runs up. Fended off constant approaches by boatmen for a trip tomorrow (even though we were intending on taking a boat trip, I figured the price would be lower tomorrow morning), and wnadered around looking for a dinner venue. Eventually found a pub with a rooftop bar, very un-crowded like basically everywhere else here. Had a couple of happy hour cocktails and shared a pizza for dinner before wandering back to the hotel with some baked goods for dessert.

    All in all a very relaxing day, and one desperately needed after the exertions of the previous few days!
    Read more