Satellite
  • Day 36

    Day 35: Homeward Bound

    April 9, 2011 in the United Arab Emirates ⋅ ☀️ 35 °C

    Last day! Had a group breakfast in the morning before several people had to depart for their flights. My flight wasn't until late afternoon, so I hung around for a bit before heading down to Tahrir Square with a couple of the remaining group members. We just wanted to have a quick look at the dregs from yesterday's protest of which there was plenty - banners, signs, effigies, barbed wire barricades, burnt-out busses and lots of rubbish on the ground.

    A couple of news crews but mostly just middle-class Egyptians rubber-necking and taking selfies. A few people were standing on a bus with a megaphone chanting to a small crowd, so we steered clear of there. Afterwards the others headed back into the adjacent Egyptian Museum, and I headed back to the hotel. Used the internet for a bit, wrote a bit and then headed to the airport many hours early to wait for my flight.

    Arrived in Dubai around midnight local time, where I thankfully had been given a free hotel room for my 10-hour layover. Unfortunately by the time you factor in immigration, customs, getting to the hotel, breakfast, getting back from the hotel, emigration, security and check-in, you only end up getting a few hours of actual sleep. It could've been worse though, I could've been sleeping in the airport with all the migrant workers and people from third-world countries who can't afford hotel layovers!

    Flight back to Sydney was uneventful I think, as I can't remember much of it. Arrived back in Sydney early morning, met by Dad and he drove me back home to Pyrmont. And thus ended our African odyssey!
    Read more