Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 4

    Cologne Walking Tour

    May 25, 2023 in Germany ⋅ ☀️ 13 °C

    Romanesque from year 1000. First church to
    Metal anchors support the building. 30,000 Ford workers in Cologne. Cologne is a daughter of Rome. Colony of Rome. Roman city was recycled. One if the oldest cities in Germany. French Gothic style. Late Gothic. Old Roman wall. Romans had concrete. Rediscovered concrete in late 19th century. Cleaning not really possible. 8 kinds of stone. 520 steps to top. The sculpture is a one to one copy of the top. Started in 1250. Golden shrineif the bones of 3 magi. Around year 800 crucifix changed to suffering cross. In medieval times was very colorful. After a hundred years they painted them away. Church #5 in this spot. Oldest 300 AD. We stole 3 magi. Pilgrims financed it. Reformation stopped the pilgrims. Stopped building.1824 they finally started again with German unification as a result of defeat from Napoleon. Gothic means barbaric German tribe. Gothic style prevalent across the country. Then finished it in 1840 to 1880.The original architect had made drawings they kept and finished that way.Build replicas of statues. Clean stones are new replacement stones. War destroyed much of the city and. Prior to that Victorian style. Cathedral was preserved. Air Force had order not to destroy cathedral. Used Church towers as a point of reference for daylight attack industrial stuff. Wanted modern architecture. Collective desired amnesia. Biggest cities are ugly in Germany. East Germany preserved more of the old architecture.

    Each Brauhaus serves their own Cologne beer. Oktoberfest is only Bavaria. Cologne does Mardi Gras. Cologne glasses are small to keep it fresh. Empty glass in front of you is an order for more beer. Put coaster over glass to stop more beer from coming.

    Perfume based on alcohol invented here. Eu de Cologne. 300 years. Farina same scent.

    Old market square from 1050. Fountain late 19 th century.

    .
    Read more