Satellite
  • Day 15

    Day 15 - I Heart LP (They Have Wine)

    February 22, 2017 in Laos ⋅ 🌙 20 °C

    A short entry today seeing as I spent a large chunk of the day on the boat.

    After a restless night where I kept waking up in a panic that I'd missed the slow boat we actually did wake up on time and catch our prompt 7.45am departure towards Luang Prabang. It was really cold on the boat but luckily Mr Wong had blankets and was full of bants about us being so drunk we thought a 1 was a 10 on our room key yesterday. Hilarious. Most of the morning was spent reading and watching downloaded Netflix trash (basically my life at home) whilst waiting for lunch. The scenery was equally beautiful to yesterday once the fog cleared and I tried to spend as much of the afternoon as I could sitting on the front.

    First stop on the boat was to the Pak Ou caves. Basically caves with thousands of Buddha statues in them and impressive. You needed a torch for the top caves which were up 226 steps and pitch black inside. Second stop was to 'whisky village' where they making 15% and 50% rice wine and sell to tourists. Obvs we bought some plus I finally graduated to the travellers uniform of elephant trousers. As unstylish as they are comfortable.

    At about half 4 we made in to Luang Prabang and said goodbye to Mr Wong. Our guest house welcomed us with a strange drink and fruit platter before we walked into town. First impressions - I love Luang Prabang. It's small and laid back. There's a night market selling more clothes and trinkets where I could easily buy everything plus a cooked food market sent from heaven which I fully intend to gorge on for the next few days. Here's buffet stalls! And there's wine and it was on happy hour 😍 We did food like locals (/travellers who want to pretend to be locals) sitting at a street food noodle stall with baskets of herbs as condiments and had more beer before calling it an early one in prep for our next few days here. I think I'm going to like it here.
    Read more