Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 4

    Day 4 - Goring to Lewknor

    October 10, 2019 in England ⋅ ⛅ 13 °C

    So it’s relatively flat start as I’m by the Thames! We are heading north out of Goring on the Swans Way past the Leatherne Bottel gastropub (another old haunt) onto South Stoke of Domesday book and its churchlands donated away by HenryVIII ! Onward and past the Brunel railway bridge towards North Stoke and it’s impressive church and murals ! Passing through Mongewell Park . Now it’s east and straight and up some hills (too many) and following the old earthwork of the Grim’s Ditch for over 3 miles ! It’s a pleasant tree shaded section and onto Nuffield and Holy Trinity Church dating from 12thC - where Mr Morris of Motors fame is buried! Some impressive brass rubbings ...but more impactful to have free coffee and cakes for visitors!!!
    Next we cross over the Shakespeare Way - linking Stratford to the Globe on London- past Watlington . We are still on the Swan’s Way and also the Icknield Way heading NE towards Chinnor .
    Too many hills ! Finally it’s boots off for a while at Lewknor as we are getting a puppy tomorrow morning and I’m off home ! So there will be a pause for some time on this walk with 30 odd miles to go !
    Read more