Satelliet
Weergeven op kaart
  • Dag 34

    36 BA 4 Argentina’s big day

    9 december 2023, Argentinië ⋅ ☁️ 20 °C

    Well we are right in the middle of the presidential inauguration! RIGHT in the middle !
    It’s a quiet Sunday morning and a stroll down to San Telmo and the antique, arts and crafts markets! It’s busy but not frantic as we wander around the art area and bump into the other cartoon statues.
    It’s a short walk over to the ecological area and Lagunas, passing the odd fountain of Fuente de las Nereidas. Ahead of her time it says - the men seem to having a hard time with the horses !
    Wandering back around Midday past the Casa Rosada and Plaza de Mayo it’s all happening as up the other end old Javier Milei is being sworn in as President ! It’s all going mad ! Thousands line the avenue and more thousands are in front of the Congress at the other end ! It’s all Argentinian flags , football shorts , presidential Lions , Milei shirts , marching bands , buzz saw wielding fans ! I was thinking we were unlucky not to get to be able to get to a. football game but this is much more ! Very South American ! It’s a first crazy batshit crazy weird episode of the tour !
    The Lion gives his speech and then the mental crowds disperse for who knows what next ! Do you think his hair is always like that ? Or did he give it an extra fluffy wash ? Sideburns too ! Who knows what next !
    We happen to find a bar on the corner of the Congress square for a drink and to just take in the atmosphere amid the heavy police presence and all the noise and crowds ! My pig Spanish manages to ask for a large bottle of cold beer but asking for two glasses to drink out of …. That’s difficult!
    We maybe stuck here for a while as we simply cannot cross the road as the barricades go on forever!

    https://www.theguardian.com/world/2023/dec/10/j…

    Eventually home for a rest pre seeking out a place to eat ! And later a rooftop visit after our purgatory tour !
    Meer informatie